bigtop-user mailing list archives

From Martin Bukatovic <mbuka...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: deployment of bigtop stable release
Date Mon, 08 Jun 2015 19:39:25 GMT
On 06/06/2015 09:29 PM, Evans Ye wrote:
> Hey Martin, sorry to reply you late.
> I think you can also refer to my reply in "newbie question of BigTop"
> thread for the deployment.
> I'm sorry that the document currently we have are a little bit out of date.
> So thanks for wrapping up your notes! It would be great if we can put
> that on our wiki.
>
> Getting back to your questions, I think you better use puppet recipes in
> the master to deploy bigtop clusters at this moment. The reason behind
> this is that our puppet recipes changed a lot from 0.8 to 1.0. If you
> don't want to learn it twice, than you better use the newest version
> directly. :)
> The new puppet recipes can be used to deploy bigtop 0.8 packages as
> well. AFAIK the incomparable component should be sqoop only.
> For bigtop users, I think it's always better to use a fix release of
> bigtop, since the master can have broken feature during development,
> although we tend not to.
> Hopefully I've answered your questions. if not, welcome to ask more. :)

Thanks for the answer. I will polish my notes a bit and add your
explanation there. Then I'm expected to open new JIRA for it, right?

But I have another question, does it mean that this approach (using
puppet recipes from master to deploy both stable release and current
master) is a desing feature of bigtop so that:

 - it is going to work in the upcoming release? Will I be able to
   use future puppet recipes from master to deploy bigtop 1.0.0?
   Or I should rather ask: is this planned?
 - we are suggesting to always use deployment scripts from master
   with few exceptions (eg. sqoop you mentioned)?

If it's true, we may like to advertise this a bit more.
Maintaining list of hadoop components which are not deployable by
current master orchestration would be nice so that we can state:
always use master with those exceptions.

--
Martin Bukatovic
RHS/Hadoop QE Team