bigtop-user mailing list archives

From David Starina <david.star...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Gearing up for 0.9
Date Thu, 12 Mar 2015 05:57:41 GMT
Hi guys,

I'm just an observer, a passer-by you might say (for now) of this mailing
list, so I hope you won't mind me commenting on this. I was planning to use
Hadoop with Mahout in my thesis, so this thread kind of freaked me out.
Since you are mentioning the two pieces of software are incompatible - does
that mean it is not possible to get them to work together, or just that it
requires some extra effort? Also, there are some algorithms that work with
Spark - do you know whether those still work with recent versions of Spark?
Is there a lot of work to manually install Mahout without Bigtop?

Anyhow, hope the Mahout guys find their focus again.

Best regards,
David

On Thursday, March 12, 2015, jay vyas <jayunit100.apache@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> now
>> >      it blocks
>> >      > > the release.
>> >      > >
>> >      > > Cos
>> >      > >
>> >      > > On Fri, Mar 06, 2015 at 02:29PM, Ed - 0x1b wrote:
>> >      > > > some links to some of Mahout's replacements - not all Apache
>> >      projects.
>> >      > > >
>> >      > > >

>> https://gigaom.com/2014/03/27/apache-mahout-hadoops-original-machine-learning-project-is-moving-on-from-mapreduce/
>> >      > > > http://0xdata.com/
>> >      > > > https://spark.apache.org/mllib/
>> >      > > >

>> https://databricks.com/blog/2014/06/30/sparkling-water-h20-spark.html
>> >      > > > https://github.com/apache/mahout/tree/master/h2o
>> >      > > >
>> >      > > > and
>> >      > > >
>> >      > > >

>> https://gigaom.com/2014/02/28/cloudera-is-rebuilding-machine-learning-for-hadoop-with-oryx/
>> >      > > >
>> >      > > > On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 12:47 PM, Konstantin Boudnik
>> >      <cos@apache.org <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','cos@apache.org');>>
>> wrote:
>> >      > > > > Thanks man! I've heard that there's a new project that
>> picks up
>> >      where Mahout
>> >      > > > > left of wrt Hadoop2.x support. But might be I am just
>> delusional
>> >      from
>> >      > > > > hunger...?
>> >      > > > >
>> >      > > > > On Fri, Mar 06, 2015 at 02:32PM, jay vyas wrote:
>> >      > > > >>A  A  i sent a email to mahout-dev... maybe someone
will
>> ping
>> >      back :)
>> >      > > > >>A  A  On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 2:25 PM, Jay Vyas
>> >      <jayunit100.apache@gmail.com
>> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','jayunit100.apache@gmail.com');>>
>> >      > > > >>A  A  wrote:
>> >      > > > >>
>> >      > > > >>A  A  A  Iirc we don't have any maintainers for
it.
>> >      > > > >>A  A  A  Is anyone interested in maintaining it?
>> >      > > > >>A  A  A  > On Mar 6, 2015, at 2:23 PM, Konstantin
Boudnik
>> >      <cos@apache.org <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','cos@apache.org');>>
>> wrote:
>> >      > > > >>A  A  A  >
>> >      > > > >>A  A  A  > Does anyone know what's the story
with Mahout?
>> Has it
>> >      been fixed to be
>> >      > > > >>A  A  A  working
>> >      > > > >>A  A  A  > with Hadoop2 or shall we remove it
from the BOM?
>> >      > > > >>A  A  A  >
>> >      > > > >>A  A  A  > Cos
>> >      > > > >>A  A  A  >
>> >      > > > >>A  A  A  >> On Sat, Feb 28, 2015 at 06:56PM,
Konstantin
>> Boudnik
>> >      wrote:
>> >      > > > >>A  A  A  >> Guys,
>> >      > > > >>A  A  A  >>
>> >      > > > >>A  A  A  >> It'd be great if we can have the
next release
>> ready
>> >      by ApacheCon in
>> >      > > > >>A  A  A  April.
>> >      > > > >>A  A  A  >> Think about all the PR and publicity
we can get
>> >      without any effort on
>> >      > > > >>A  A  A  our own.
>> >      > > > >>A  A  A  >> And perhaps from the tactical
standpoint we
>> shall
>> >      call this release
>> >      > > > >>A  A  A  1.0?
>> >      > > > >>A  A  A  >>
>> >      > > > >>A  A  A  >> I believe the only major hurdle
between us and
>> the
>> >      release is CI.
>> >      > > > >>A  A  A  Roman, I
>> >      > > > >>A  A  A  >> understand you're busy elsewhere,
but could you
>> >      please let us know
>> >      > > > >>A  A  A  what else
>> >      > > > >>A  A  A  >> needs to be done before we can
start doing the
>> >      regular builds and how
>> >      > > > >>A  A  A  the
>> >      > > > >>A  A  A  >> community can help. That's the
highest
>> priority,
>> >      IMO.
>> >      > > > >>A  A  A  >>
>> >      > > > >>A  A  A  >> There a couple of the tickets
left
>> >      unfixed/unassigned on BIGTOP-1480,
>> >      > > > >>A  A  A  and if
>> >      > > > >>A  A  A  >> they aren't resolved on time we
can move them
>> >      farther. There's lesser
>> >      > > > >>A  A  A  than a
>> >      > > > >>A  A  A  >> half-dozen blockers and none of
them look too
>> big,
>> >      honestly. And we
>> >      > > > >>A  A  A  have a
>> >      > > > >>A  A  A  >> whole lot of active committers
and
>> contributors to
>> >      wrap-up the
>> >      > > > >>A  A  A  release in a
>> >      > > > >>A  A  A  >> couple of weeks.
>> >      > > > >>A  A  A  >>
>> >      > > > >>A  A  A  >> Do we want to try upgrade to HBase
1.x for this
>> >      release or it might
>> >      > > > >>A  A  A  be too big
>> >      > > > >>A  A  A  >> of a distortion? Andrew, what
do you think and
>> do
>> >      you have cycles to
>> >      > > > >>A  A  A  do that?
>> >      > > > >>A  A  A  >> What else we need to get done
for this release?