bigtop-user mailing list archives

From Olaf Flebbe ...@oflebbe.de>
Subject Re: Update on meetup?
Date Tue, 03 Mar 2015 08:57:29 GMT
Hi

Too bad that I missed meetup and start of discussion, because I only monitored dev list...

We deploy our testcluster on a single machine as pure lxc containers. Using a hiera supported
puppet michel weiser is trying to merge with bigtop.

Imho one solution does not fits all.

In productiom:On a cluster of machines you would deploy bigtop on bare metal, not sacrifing
runtime performance for anything.

In a longer running testcluster on a maschine:
We run a traditional os in container (i.e. We run systemd formely known as init in it). This
has the big advantage that we can test long running things like kerberos tickets expiring
happening on a real bare metal cluster. Right now we have journalling, with tez on hive including
hue and are happy right now when we can switch on kerberos authentication.

For smoke tests the vagrant/docker scripts are really cool, i looked at it yesterday the first
time. Too bad they are deeply bound to centos, I had to change many thing to get it run on
debian.

Docker is more centered

I looked into the vm puppet scripts and

Sent with SMTP

Am 30 Jan 2015 um 20:10 schrieb jay vyas <jayunit100.apache@gmail.com <mailto:jayunit100.apache@gmail.com>>:

> Roman youre right, a real docker container doesn't do things the way we currently do
in bigtop.

> If we embrace docker, we will be able to really drop alot of weight.
>
> Maybe the experimental  bigtop 1x can deploy pure tarballs from apache distributions
on apache mesos for the orchestration ?