bigtop-user mailing list archives

From Konstantin Boudnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Update on meetup?
Date Tue, 03 Mar 2015 17:16:49 GMT
Olaf,

that's really pity that our docker stuff is CentOS specific, which is I guess
expected when RedHat guys are working on them ;) Do you think they can be made
more generic? After all, we use the same Puppet for any supported platform, so
I don't see why we shouldn't be able to have docker env. that works for any
containerised OS.

Cos

On Tue, Mar 03, 2015 at 09:57AM, Olaf Flebbe wrote:
> Hi
>
> Too bad that I missed meetup and start of discussion, because I only monitored dev list...
>
> We deploy our testcluster on a single machine as pure lxc containers. Using
> a hiera supported puppet michel weiser is trying to merge with bigtop.
>
> Imho one solution does not fits all.
>
> In productiom: On a cluster of machines you would deploy bigtop on bare
> metal, not sacrifing runtime performance for anything.
>
> In a longer running testcluster on a maschine:
> We run a traditional os in container (i.e. We run systemd formely known as
> init in it). This has the big advantage that we can test long running things
> like kerberos tickets expiring happening on a real bare metal cluster. Right
> now we have journalling, with tez on hive including hue and are happy right
> now when we can switch on kerberos authentication.
>
> For smoke tests the vagrant/docker scripts are really cool, i looked at it
> yesterday the first time. Too bad they are deeply bound to centos, I had to
> change many thing to get it run on debian.
>

> Docker is more centered
>
> I looked into the vm puppet scripts and
>

> Sent with SMTP
>
> Am 30 Jan 2015 um 20:10 schrieb jay vyas <jayunit100.apache@gmail.com <mailto:jayunit100.apache@gmail.com>>:
>
> > Roman youre right, a real docker container doesn't do things the way we currently
do in bigtop.

> > If we embrace docker, we will be able to really drop alot of weight.
> >
> > Maybe the experimental  bigtop 1x can deploy pure tarballs from apache distributions
on apache mesos for the orchestration ?