bigtop-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: BIGTOP-1x branch.. Do we need multitenancy systems?
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2015 22:20:14 GMT
There is also the matter of insuring to the best of the project's ability
that the binary bits fit together. We do this in the package builds by
specifying dependency versions on the Maven command lines used to build.
Whether the end result is a bunch of jars in a directory, a bunch of
tarballs, or a bunch of deb or rpm archives, most of the effort we have is
not maintaining the packaging - it is figuring out a BOM and set of
transitive dependencies that can be compiled together and successfully
deployed.

Let me turn this question around and ask how difficult it is to do the
packaging part _after_ getting the builds of a BOM to all work? I've found
it to be 30% of the work, substantial, but not double the effort.

That said, it could make sense to not worry about building OS specific
packages. The output of a Bigtop build would then be something like a
directory full of tarballs that can be unpacked in different locations and
combinations but can be assured to work together. Like Cloudera's Parcels I
suppose.

I also think the current renewed interest in containers is strong, and not
a fad, but this is a pendulum that swings around.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)