bigtop-user mailing list archives

From RJ Nowling <rnowl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: BIGTOP-1x branch.. Do we need multitenancy systems?
Date Wed, 11 Feb 2015 02:00:12 GMT
Can we articulate the value of packages over tarballs?  In my view, packages are useful for
managing dependencies and in-place updates.

If users want to install only parts of BigTop then dependency management between BigTop components
is useful. If users always install the entire stack, then dependencies between packages is
a moot point.

Dependencies on system packages makes installation easier and more foolproof but it's hard
to get it right and requires testing on many platforms. For example, I was recently bitten
by a (non BigTop) RPM that required Java 7 but Fedora 21 only has Java 8. If this isn't done
rigorously, it may be better to avoid specifying dependencies.

Packages also offer versioning which helps with updates. But it really depends on whether
users do in-place updates or provision fresh installs for new versions.

Ultimately, packages DO have value but it requires a lot of effort to reap the benefits. Tarballs
may be easier and free up resources though.

I see containers / microservices as a provisioning issue. The same packages / tarballs can
be provisioned in multiple ways and I think it would be a mistake to lock users into a single
approach. Offering provisioning examples (via puppet, ansible, etc.) is useful though IMO.

Related question: what are BigTop's goals? Just integration testing? Full blown distro targeted
at end users? Packaging for others to build distros on top of?