bigtop-user mailing list archives

From Konstantin Boudnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Bigtop Docker image with Dockerfile.
Date Wed, 25 Feb 2015 03:12:01 GMT
Hi Christian.

On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 09:24AM, Christian Tzolov wrote:
> Hi Konstantin,
>
> I see your point. My goal however was to generate RPMs for some projects
> (Spark particularly) and experiment with different versions and
> configurations.
>
> I could not find a proper doc explaining how to bootstrap with Bigtop. The
> wiki pages like (
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/BIGTOP/Building+Bigtop+on+RHEL7)
> are outdated, missing libraries and stil refering to the 'make' tool.

Yup, it is - I just recently figured this out and filed the JIRA
which you're welcome to take, if you want.

> I've tried the './gradlew toolchain' to build an environment but it still
> requires some libs to be preinstalled so i've decided to keep everything in
> a single Dockerfile.

Could you please share what libs were missing? It'd be great to get it fixed.
The issue here is the we are moving forward quite fast and sometimes devs env.
isn't exactly pristine, so think like missing packages might go unnoticed.

> Concerning only the packaging tasks I guess 2 environments (for RPM and
> DEB) are enough?

Yes, that's all Bigtop does on the packaging side.

I have put together an initial draft for new build procedure
  https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/BIGTOP/How+to+build+Bigtop

and you're welcome to update/add to it. Hope it helps.

  Cos