bigtop-user mailing list archives

From Olaf Flebbe ...@oflebbe.de>
Subject Re: BIGTOP-1x branch.. Do we need multitenancy systems?
Date Wed, 11 Feb 2015 06:40:20 GMT
Hi

let me emphasise the importance of traditional deployment and update scenarios via packages
for real life scenario on a cluster (mean ten’ths to hundret’s) of bare metal machines.
Microservices or docker is no solution to the handling problem, IMHO it adresses the dependency
hell. If I would have to deploy an app which scales up for hundreds of machines I will go
to the solutions of my company or something like Openstack Ironic. Docker does not help deploying.

Even Hadoop itself is an orchestra of many services interconnected to each other, way to much
to be seen as micro services. They depend on each other, that’s the strong side of Linux
dependency management via packages, but it must be done right. Bigtop is only at the first
step right now.

Cheers,
Olaf