bigtop-user mailing list archives

From Konstantin Boudnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What will the next generation of bigtop look like?
Date Tue, 23 Dec 2014 08:36:20 GMT
Sorry for being a bit late to this discussion, but I will try to make a very
sort summary of what I've read:

1. there's the intention to focus on the vertical value-add,
   rather than just a platform [Andrew, et all]
2. Focus more on in-memory technologies (which seemed to be our trend ever since
   we added Spark and now Ignite (incubating)). [Jay, Evans, RJ]
3. while many data processing components aren't HDFS centric anymore, the
   storage layer still seems to be important for anything related to Hadoop.
   Since, I don't think HDFS can be dropped tomorrow.

And I don't see these three interfering with each other. To me they are quite
complemektary.

As for lower appeal of Bigtop stack to commercials as Evans alluded. There's
that. And the main reason is that Bigtop releases are always based on official
Apache release of upstream components. Wheres non of the Hadoop vendors can
say the same. Anything that Cloudera or HortonWorks put out there is Hadoop 2.x
+ N-patches, where N could be anywhere between 1 and 2000, but is never 0.

So, in this sense commercials aren't releasing Apache software, but rather its
derivatives. I don't see how Bigtop would compete in this field neither
culturally nor resource wise.

Cos