bigtop-user mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: Problem using puppet scripts to configure bigtop on AmazonLinux
Date Sat, 29 Nov 2014 23:48:07 GMT
On Fri, Nov 28, 2014 at 7:08 PM, Konstantin Boudnik <cos@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 29, 2014 at 01:43AM, Leidle, Rob wrote:
>> Yes, I ran into Bigtop-1522 and figured out I needed to add mapred-app.
>> Sorry, I wrote what I said in the previous email incorrectly, yes,
>> resource manager does not install because the depdendency namenode does
>> not install correctly. I will look more closely at the service logs to see
>> if I can figure out why it isn╧t starting. The error code of Ё3╡ indicates
>> from the /etc/init.d/hadoop-hdfs-namenode script that this means it can╧t
>> find the running process 5 seconds after starting it.
>
> Yes, please look into the logs - might be something obvious missed. We are
> running these recipes for a good 3+ years and they are fairly well tested.
> Would be good to fix last bugs if any ;)

What Cos said above, but also note that Puppet encourages this unfortunate
'eventual convergence' pattern. IOW, even if the first time around a
few services
failed if everything goes OK on the next Puppet run -- the cluster comes up.

It would be very nice to debug the nitty gritty details of
synchronization issues
like the ones you seem to be seeing. Unfortunately, we haven't really had
much of a focus there, since, like I said, for internal Bigtop testing purposes
the 'eventual convergence' suffices.

Thanks,
Roman.