bigtop-user mailing list archives

From Olaf Flebbe <o.fle...@science-computing.de>
Subject AW: Debian
Date Mon, 15 Sep 2014 07:07:53 GMT
Hi Roman!

> Personally, I am super excited to see somebody trying
> Bigtop out on pure Debian. In fact, if you could consider
> becoming an official Debian maintainer for Bigtop -- that
> would be tremendously appreciated.

I would appreciate it very much to have Debian/Amd64 be a first-class citizen of bigtop.

And yes, I am would step in as a maintainer for it.

> The work would start with helping us bootstrap Debian
> on our CI, but then just being able to provide feedback
> would be huge.

I bootstraped debian/stable and debian/testing (with one exception) right now.
My personal tree/commits is at https://github.com/oflebbe/github right now.
I still have to package commits into JIRA ...

> Is there any reason we shouldn't be enforcing it 100%?

No AFAIK we could enforce C.UTF-8. But we should report this issue upstream, too.

> > * I had the problem that one of the compile jobs actually writes into FORREST_HOME
(!)

> Wow! Do you happen to remember what it was?

No. but can look into it again.

> > * Debian Wheezy:
> >    Following packages are too old int the Debian wheezy/stable repo to be used to
compile:
> >    scala-2.10.4 , ant-1.9.2, gradle-1.12, protobuf-c-compiler-2.5.0
> >
> >    You have to compile/install it yourself
> >
> >    I had very obscure maven problems. Had to switch several times until it finally
worked.
> >    The Download from maven.apache.org Version 3.0.5 finally worked best.
>
> Yes. And that's why we have Puppet scripts setting up build environment
> for the Bigtop builds. We're also in a process of producing pre-built
> Docker containers with the build env. setup just right:
>    https://hub.docker.com/u/bigtop/

I am using pure lxc containers for testing  right now.

> Contributing Debian there would be the first step.

Docker is not in best shape in debian stable.

> What was the rest of your experience working with freshly minted Hue?

I did not test it, since I am concentrating getting the compile stable at first.

> > * Debian Jessy/testing:
> >
> >   I currently having very very very  very obscure maven problems.  Most of the time
it stopped in site:deploy Target of giraph. Error message : class StringUtils is missing in
org.apache.commons.lang. (All packages I found on this machine have it )
> >   I am currently working on isolating the problem.
>
> Any progress there?

Yes. I bootstrapped bigtop / trunk on jessie, without hue, since there was a obscure python
problem ( the link to the python interpreted is borked all the time).

> > * It would be very helpful, if the jenkins setup whould be available.
> >
> > https://builds.apache.org/view/All/job/Bigtop-trunk/
> >
> > What does it do ? IMHO It does _not_ use gradle to compile ?
>
> Currently it uses make, but we're very quickly migrating to gradle,
> since make is going to be removed in Bigtop 0.9.0

Ah! that explains a lot!

Cheers
   Olaf

Gerd-Lothar Leonhart
Vorstand/Board of Management:
Dr. Bernd Finkbeiner, Michael Heinrichs, Dr. Arno Steitz
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats/
Chairman of the Supervisory Board:
Philippe Miltin
Sitz/Registered Office: Tuebingen