bigtop-user mailing list archives

From Sean Mackrory <mackror...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: New to Bigtop, where to start?
Date Wed, 16 Jul 2014 17:17:54 GMT
It might be easiest to get it working on a single node, and then once
you're familiar with the Bigtop packages and related files try on a
cluster. On a single node, you can do "yum install hadoop-conf-pseudo",
then format the namenode with "service hadoop-hdfs-namenode init", and then
start all of Hadoop: "for service in hadoop-hdfs-namenode
hadoop-hdfs-secondarynamenode hadoop-hdfs-datanode
hadoop-yarn-resourcemanager hadoop-yarn-nodemanager; do service $service
start; done". That should give you an idea of how Bigtop deploys stuff and
what packages you need. hadoop-conf-pseudo will install all the packages
that provide the init scripts and libraries required for every role, and a
working single-node configuration. You would want to install those roles on
different machines (e.g. NameNode and ResourceManager on one, DataNode and
NodeManager on all the others), and then edit the configuration files in
/etc/hadoop/conf on each node accordingly so the datanodes know which
namenode to connect to, etc.

On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 10:56 AM, Mark Grover <grover.markgrover@gmail.com>
wrote:

> The 'hadoop' package just delivers the hadoop common bits but no init
> scripts to start the service, no convenience artifacts that deploy
> configuration for say, starting hadoop pseudo distributed cluster. For all
> practical purposes, you are going to need hadoop-hdfs and hadoop-mapreduce
> packages which deliver bits for HDFS and MR. However, even that may not be
> enough, you likely need init scripts to be installed for starting and
> stopping services related to HDFS and MR. So, depending on if you are
> installing Hadoop on a fully-distributed cluster or a pseudo-distributed
> cluster, you may need to install one or more services (and hence packages)
> like resource manager, node manager, namenode and datanode on the node(s).
> Then, you will have to deploy the configuration yourself. We have default
> configuration installed by packages but you definitely need to add some
> entries to make it work for a fully-distributed cluster e.g. adding the
> name of the namenode host to configuration of datanodes. If you are using
> just a pseudo-distributed, you can installed the pseudo distributed
> configuration package (which has all the necessary dependencies so
> installing that nothing else should be good) and you will get an
> out-of-the-box experience.
>
> FYI, if you do
> yum list 'hadoop*'
> You would find a list of all hadoop related packages that are available to
> be installed.
>

> On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 9:39 AM, David Fryer <dfryer1193@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Is it necessary to install the whole hadoop stack?
>>

>> On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 12:37 PM, David Fryer <dfryer1193@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> The only output from that is:
>>> hadoop-2.0.5.1-1.el6.x86_64