bigtop-user mailing list archives

From jay vyas <jayunit100.apa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: New to Bigtop, where to start?
Date Wed, 16 Jul 2014 15:15:54 GMT
Hi david .

Glad to hear the vagrant stuff worked for you.  Now , the next step will be
to port it to bare metal, like you say.

The Vagrantfile does two things

1) It creates a shared folder for all machines.
2) It spins up centos boxes .

So in the "real world" you will need to obviously set up ssh between
machines to start.
After that , roughly, will need to do the following:

- clone bigtop onto each of your  machines
- install puppet 2.x on each of the machines
- look at the csv file created in the vagrant provisioner, and read the
puppet README file (in bigtop-deploy)
- run puppet apply on the head node
Once that works
- run puppet apply on each slave.
now on any node that you use as client, (i just use the master usually) you
can yum install your favorite ecosystem components:
yum install -y pig mahout

And you have a working hadoop cluster.

one idea as I know your on the east coast, if your company is interested in
hosting/sponsoring a bigtop meetup, we could possibly bring some folks from
the boston / nyc area together to walk through building a bigtop cluster on
bare metal.  Let us know if any other questions.   These directions are
admittedly a little bit rough.

Also, once you get this working, you can help us to update the wiki pages.

--
jay vyas