bigtop-user mailing list archives

From Peter Linnell <plinn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Windows support?
Date Tue, 11 Feb 2014 08:39:11 GMT
On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 14:46:42 -0800
Roman Shaposhnik <rvs@apache.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 2:40 PM, Andrew Pennebaker
> <apennebaker@42six.com> wrote:
> > I understand.
> >
> > Windows isn't my favorite platform, it just bugs me when I want to
> > use a neat tool, and the community for the tool doesn't prioritize
> > porting it to the particular platform I'm using that day.
>
> I don't think there's any kind of push back on getting this support
> in. The sentiment
> is more about the fact that we honestly don't have *anything* Windows
> related ATM. No infrastructure, not much expertise, no access to dev.
> environment.
>
> If, all of a sudden, our community had an influx of folks who could
> bring all of the above to us -- I'm sure they'd be welcome.
>
> Thanks,
> Roman.

Roman is right. We've no objection to supporting another platform, be
it MacOSX, a BSD or Windows. As a hard core linux guy, I've got
the beneficial experience of supporting other platforms, not in a
reluctant way, but as a way to bring my app to a much wider world.

While the Hortonworks folks deservedly get kudos for porting Hadoop to
Windows, you need to think about the entire stack we support and that
stack will grow. That is at the moment not trivial.

Just my 0.02,

Peter