bigtop-user mailing list archives

From Martin Bukatovic <mbuka...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: does anyone else want a higher level interface to smokes
Date Wed, 29 Jan 2014 16:23:32 GMT
Hi,

----- Original Message -----
> Hi!
>
> On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 10:58 AM, Jay Vyas <jayunit100@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi folks..
> >
> > In the end for our smoke tests, i have a shell script that wraps the maven
> > stuff.
> >
> > Anyone else want the same thing?  Or are you folks all happy using
> > mvn verify?
>
> I was just thinking along the very same lines, actually. I think the
> key to realize about iTest in bigtop is that there are multiple
> entry points into running a test and mvn verify is just one of them.
>
> Hence -- I'd be very interested in seeing your script submitted
> to a JIRA.
>
> I have a few scripts of my own (tiny little things) and it would
> be interesting to see how much common functionality we can
> all have in bigtop.

actually, I think that the test execution process deserves a little
standardization / documentation improvement. Currently we have this:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/BIGTOP/Running+integration+and+system+tests

Which is good and includes all information needed to get the maven to execute
tests, but the more detailed description of the enviroment is missing.

I think that it would make sense to declare under which user the tests runs
under. Most tests doesn't specify the user, but some requires to be executed
under either root or hdfs. Since I don't like running it all under root, we can
add following into the docs:

Create dedicated user for running bigtop integration tests, eg. bigtoptestuser

Create sudoer file /etc/sudoers.d/bigtop:

   bigtoptestuser  ALL= (root) NOPASSWD: /bin/bash
   bigtoptestuser  ALL= (hdfs) NOPASSWD: /bin/bash

This is needed since itest.shell.Shell uses sudo to execute bash process under
different user if specified.

It's a little addition, but I would like to make it more clear that running
integration tests under root is not a good idea - some bugs related to access
rights may be missed. And whenewer a test needs to be executed under root, you
just need to specify this explicitly.

What do you think? And maybe more importantly, how do you run your tests?

Martin Bukatovic