bigtop-user mailing list archives

From Steven Núñez <steven.nu...@illation.com>
Subject Cluster Management: OpenSource & Vendor Options
Date Mon, 30 Dec 2013 16:32:18 GMT
Seasons Greetings All,

I’m doing a bit of a write-up on the various Hadoop distributions and would like to understand
exactly what packages are installed by the Apache version of Ambari. It’s an exciting place
to be working (big data & Hadoop) but the lines are blurred in many ways. The way I see
the open source landscape now is something like this (from a management/installation/configuration
perspective):

BigTop -> RPM like packaging for Hadoop
Ambari -> GUI management/monitoring/provisioning

Looking at it from a vendor perspective, we’ve got (I know there are others, this is just
for discussion):

BigTop (packaging)
CDH
HDP
Apache Bigtop

Cloudera
Cloudera Manager (closed source, commercial)

Hortonworks / Apache
Ambari (open source)

The CDH, BigTop and HDP (I assume) base distributions require a lot of manual configuration,
so the best way to spin up a cluster with a reasonable set of applications (say HDFS, YARN,
Hive, HCatalog, HBase, ZooKeeper, Oozie, Pig, Sqoop) is to use CDH + CM or Ambari + HDP.

Is there an equivalent for Apache? If I use the kit found at ambari.apache.org to spin up
a cluster, do I get Apache components, or the HDP distribution? I’m trying to define the
‘Apache distribution’ in my mind, if there is one, and understand exactly what its capabilities
are, and cluster management is rather fundamental, since not many folks have the luxury of
spending time climbing the long, steep learning curve of Hadoop ecosystem configuration.

Cheers,
- SteveN