bigtop-user mailing list archives

From Steven Núñez <steven.nu...@illation.com>
Subject Getting Started Guide? (and some installation issues)
Date Wed, 20 Nov 2013 10:45:08 GMT
Greetings Gents,

I’ve been attempting to install an Hadoop environment via BigTop today, version 0.70, but
have run into a few issues. A few questions that will help (not only myself, but other starters):

  *   Is there a ‘getting started’ guide? Something that will describe the filesystem
and configuration file conventions? In particular the existence of these conf.empty directories
is confusing. Where are the configuration files supposed to go?
  *   Is a bigtop install supposed to work ‘out of the box’, or is additional configuration
required? If so, what is that additional configuration?
  *   Hue seems to be quite unhappy when started out of the box, the QuickStart Wizard reporting
several misconfigurations (well, potential misconfigurations). Is Hue supposed to be configured
separately, or is BigTop supposed to do that?
  *   What is the target time to set-up a Hadoop installation via BigTop? I.e. Is there a
target, say, that a newbie to Hadoop should be able to use yum (I’m on CentOS 6.4) and be
completely up and running in an hour? Half a day? 2 days?

I can see that Ivaylo is a bit ahead of me in the installation process. Ivaylo, I can’t
see your email address or I’d send you a note directly. If you don’t mind, please contact
me and we can work through some of these issues together.

Regards,
- SteveN