bigtop-user mailing list archives

From Sean Mackrory <mackror...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CentOS Out of Box Install Summary
Date Thu, 21 Nov 2013 15:48:25 GMT
One key point is that the components that are running out of the box are
mostly running in a single-node configuration or with an embedded database
as a backend. Practically all of these systems will require some manual
configuration before they are production-ready. Neither packages nor puppet
can solve that entirely - we would really need something that can
orchestrate the different roles in the cluster in bringing up the services.
Even then, I suspect such a system would require some manual input
regarding what you want, because there are so many different ways you might
want to deploy all this.

- Hadoop zkfc: This is for high-availability in HDFS. I don't know the
specifics but I would not expect this to be running out-of-the-box.
- I don't have a ton of experience with the other Hadoop daemons but I know
the NodeManager usually works for me. I'd be curious to know what problem
you ran into here.
- We could probably make a "hbase-conf-pseudo" package that installs a
working single-node configuration, but again - it would never be used that
way in most cases. I thought by default the master operated in
"stand-alone" mode, and by enabling "distributed mode" in the configuration
you could then run a region server on the same node. See
http://hbase.apache.org/book/standalone_dist.html.
- The Hive Metastore needs an external RDBMS to be configured. Some
services come with a default "embedded" database but these are never
suitable for production and usually cause more trouble than they are worth,
IMHO. I love the sound of "everything working out of the box", but I think
this is one case where we need to help the user understand what external
infrastructure is required to make the system work properly.
- Not familiar with Spark, but I believe we stopped shipping Scala embedded
in Spark and a user would need to have it installed beforehand, just like
with Java? I'm probably wrong here - just a hint.

Thanks for sharing your emails with the list. As Jay Vyas mentioned - a lot
of the contributors can get busy at times but it would be great to start
collecting this information into a better "User Manual".