bigtop-user mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Bigtop 0.7.0 RC0
Date Tue, 29 Oct 2013 01:31:17 GMT
Hi Bruno!

Thanks a million for a details and through report. A few comments.

On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 2:47 AM, Bruno Mahé <bmahe@apache.org> wrote:
> I am not voting yet since I still have some time, but so far I am leaning
> toward a -1.
>
> I am learning toward a -1 because of
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BIGTOP-1129

I would agree with that. The only trouble is I can't repro it :-(
Could you please provide additional details on the JIRA?

But if it is easy to repro (and I'm just missing something)
I'd agree with you.

> Things I still want to test (or rather, things I hope I can test by Tuesday
> evening):
> * Apache Pig and datafu
> * Apache Solr

I can help with that. ;-) At least with the default use case. Let me know
if you're still interested.

> Things we could do better:
> * We could provide some templates for Apache Hadoop. I wasted a few hours
> just to get the pi job running. Thankfully we have the init script for hdfs
> (which needs some tweaks for the staging directory) and templates for the
> configuration files in our puppet modules

Good point.

> * I enabled short-circuit in Apache HBase. Not sure if I missed something,
> but I got some "org.apache.hadoop.security.AccessControlException: Can't
> continue with getBlockLocalPathInfo() authorization" exceptions. From
> reading
> http://www.spaggiari.org/index.php/hbase/how-to-activate-hbase-shortcircuit
> it seems there are a few things we could do to make it work out of the box

Indeed! Would mind filing a JIRA for that. We can totally take care of this
thing in 0.8.0.

> * Not sure what I did wrong but although I could access Hue UI, most apps I
> tried were not working. Ex: all shells give me the error "value 222 for UID
> is less than the minimum UID allowed (500)". And the file browser gives me
> the error "Cannot access: /. Note: You are a Hue admin but not a HDFS
> superuser (which is "hdfs").". Note that the first user I created was a user
> named "ec2-user". Although it is not an hdfs super user, I would expect to
> have a working equivalent of what I can browse with the "hdfs -ls" command.
> Also creating a hue user named "hdfs" yields the same result. Note that I
> did not have time to dig further.

At this point Puppet code is the most reliable way to deploy Hue. Part of
it has to do that Hue now depends on way more external services than
it uses to -- which means that you have to get configs 'just right'. Our
puppet works great for that -- but that's for a fully distributed cluster.

Were you testing on pseudo distributed?

> * Phoenix directly embeds Apache Hadoop, Apache HBase and Apache Zookeeper
> jars. These jars should be symlinks.

Looks like Andrew took care of that.

> * Phoenix required me to delete some old Apache lucene jars from Apache
> Flume installation directory. From the output of the command "mvn
> dependency:tree" on the flume project, it appears these jars are only needed
> for the ElasticSearch and MorphlineSolrSink plugins. but Flume documentation
> for both of these plugin explicitly ask users to provide jars of Apache
> Lucene and Apache Solr/ElasticSearch themselves (since they may use a
> different version of Apache Lucene). So the dependency on Apache Lucene by
> Apache Flume should probably be marked as "provided" and we should probably
> provide some packages to manage these dependencies.

I'd love to dig deeper into this -- could you please file a JIRA with as
much INFO as possible?

> * I still need to figure out why my instance of Hue needs access to
> google-analytics.com

WAT? Really. I'm pretty curious at this point

> Other than that, it was an enjoyable experience to use Apache Bigtop
> 0.7.0RC0.
> Doing SQL queries through Phoenix was pretty impressive and did not require
> much work to setup.
> Also seeing Apache Hadoop and Apache HBase logs being shipped by flume to
> ElasticSearch and then being able to query events and create some dynamic
> charts on kibana was exciting!

Great! Would you be willing to help with a blog post on the release? ;-)

> Also, since I am about to test Apache Solr, is there an equivalent to Kibana
> I can use for visualizing my indexed logs?

Well, there's Hue Search app. Have you had a chance to try it?

Thanks,
Roman.