bigtop-user mailing list archives

From Scott Stults <sstu...@opensourceconnections.com>
Subject Re: BigTop : Build Targets
Date Wed, 12 Jun 2013 16:29:50 GMT
FWIW, Cloudera and LucidWorks believe Solr belongs with Hadoop (Cloudera Search and LucidWorks
Big Data). So while the Solr project is lagging a bit in Hadoop integration points, other
projects have reached out to pull it in (DigitalPebble Behemoth, Cascading, Twitter's Elephant
Bird Pig/Lucene integration). That, to me, proves the usefulness of including Solr within
BigTop.

-Scott

On Jun 12, 2013, at 11:50 AM, Andrew Purtell <apurtell@apache.org> wrote:

> It's a fair point that SOLR might not be part of the Hadoop ecosystem. However, Bigtop
is a top level project at Apache, and so maybe casting a wider net makes sense. Would be the
Bigtop community's consensus what to include versus not. I like the Bigtop community's inclusiveness
to date - the strategy might be described as "building the Apache Big Data Operating System".
That's fantastic.