bigtop-user mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Setting up long term support mindset
Date Wed, 06 Mar 2013 21:27:00 GMT
On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 10:10 AM, Konstantin Boudnik <cos@apache.org> wrote:
> I believe there's not much more to say about it, except that this is,
> in my opinion, a good way to establish our project as de-facto go-to
> place for community driven Hadoop based stacks and a focal point for
> the integration in the ASF storage and analytics projects.

I like this idea very much! A couple of things that I'd love to hear other
chime in on:
  #1 I think it is too late to change the focus of Bigtop 0.6.0
  #2 Do we have a reasonable conviction that the beta
       release of Hadoop 2.X is withing reach?
  #3 How do we influence Hadoop community to help us
       produce the first ever LTS of Bigtop?
  #4 How do we get the downstream communities (pig, oozie, etc)
       on-board so that we can all work towards this common goal?
  #5 Suppose we do all the work in all of the downstream components,
       how can we at least make sure that there will be patch
       releases incorporating all the changes we've done?

Now, Bigtop (well, me personally at least ;-)) would be more than
willing to help on all of these with automation, testing, etc. But
we *have* to get all of the communities involved on-board with this.

Thanks,
Roman.