bigtop-user mailing list archives

From Arun C Murthy <...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Setting up long term support mindset
Date Thu, 07 Mar 2013 15:25:45 GMT

On Mar 6, 2013, at 1:27 PM, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:

>  #2 Do we have a reasonable conviction that the beta
>       release of Hadoop 2.X is withing reach?

FTR: A stated goal is to get to a hadoop-2.0.5-beta within the next couple of months. I, and
my team, have been spending an inordinate amount of time vetting and solidifying YARN APIs
and protocols for long-term sustenance:

The same effort is undergoing for HDFS (wire) protocols.

To be clear: do not confuse API work with stability of YARN itself. YARN, the system, and
MapReduce atop, are very stable and has very, very large-scale deployments already. The above
effort is an endeavor to ensure long-term maintainability of the APIs.

>  #3 How do we influence Hadoop community to help us
>       produce the first ever LTS of Bigtop?

As I've said in the thread over at Hadoop (http://s.apache.org/4DR), it will help if Bigtop
is willing to step forward and vet Hadoop RCs. Would you guys be willing to help?

thanks,
Arun