bigtop-user mailing list archives

From Glen Mazza <gma...@talend.com>
Subject starting / stopping Big Top
Date Tue, 29 Jan 2013 15:33:15 GMT
Hi, I followed the Wiki instructions
(https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/BIGTOP/How+to+install+Hadoop+distribution+from+Bigtop+0.5.0)

to install Big Top on my Ubuntu 12.10-based laptop, all worked well.  Of
course, Big Top creates several services mostly all prefixed hadoop-*
that start automatically when I start/boot my laptop.  Two questions:

1.) Is there an easy way to start/stop the services that comprise Big
Top as a unit, when I want to, instead of having them start up every
time upon system reboot?  People just playing with/testing Big Top (like
me) might not want those services to be always active on their laptops.

2.) I'd like to add instructions to the Wiki on how to disable the
services.  Following this article:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/19320/whats-the-recommended-way-to-enable-disable-services,

I've found rcconf
(manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/natty/man8/rcconf.8.html) to be the
fastest/easiest way to bulk enable/disable services at startup time.  Is
there a better tool I should recommend instead?

Thanks,
Glen

--
Glen Mazza