bigtop-dev mailing list archives

From Vicchugu <vicch...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Hama in Bigtop
Date Fri, 04 May 2012 18:06:45 GMT
Roman, I 'm working on smoke tests.
Can somebody try a rpm based installation? The second patch contains a rpm  build.
Victor

Sent from my Samsung smartphone on AT&T

-------- Original message --------
Subject: Hama in Bigtop
From: Roman Shaposhnik <rvs@apache.org>
To: bigtop-dev@incubator.apache.org
CC: edwardyoon@apache.org

I'm really happy to see that Haman integration into Bigtop is making
very steady progress. In fact today, for the first time, I was able
to build packages for Hama and play with it (thanks to Victor!).

That, of course, made me curious about a couple of things wrt.
to Hama deployment/usage. I'm CCign Edward for his advice
(Edward, feel free to CC hama mailing list if you think its appropriate).

So, here's what I'm curious about:
   * What does Hama *really* depend on in Hadoop? It seems that
      given its architecture the only dependency should be on HDFS
      (since it essentially replaces Mapreduce layer) and common.
   * I see that there's a way of running hama's own Zookeeper service.
      Is there a way to utilize an existing instance of Zookeeper?
   * Hama on YARN -- does it still need its own services running (BSPmater,
     Groom) or does it become a 100% the same type of application that
     mapreduce is on top of YARN ?
   * What's the best way to run as many 'example' BSP jobs as possible?
      Is there an equivalent of hadoop-examples.jar ?

Thanks,
Roman.