bigtop-dev mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Guarding against the use of upstream scripts
Date Wed, 02 May 2012 19:06:04 GMT
On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 11:44 AM, Matt Foley <mfoley@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> What is the justification for saying "what we are doing in BigTop", when it
> is diverging from what has been done for years in the Components?

Matt, we both know that "for years" is a an exaggeration at best. The first
time a layout like the one currently in Hadoop appeared upstream was
when https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-6255 got a patch.
This was a bit more than a year ago. Components didn't follow until much
later.

> It seems that this is carelessly discarding what is being practiced at a lot of
> sites, because you'd rather do it this way.  Generally speaking, we make
> the Hadoop Ecosystem easier to use by adhering to familiar usage, rather
> than diverging.  Please give reasons for the divergence.

I believe we had this discussion already, but perhaps it would be worth
reiterating: it is my fundamental opinion that HADOOP-6255  was a mistake.
I also believe that this opinion is shared by the Bigtop community.

Basically there are 2 types of packages on any operating system -- the
ones that try to follow the rules of the underlying OS and the ones that
strive to be cross-platform at the expense of playing nice with an underlying
system. One type typically gets installed into all the right locations from
the FHS stand point and the other ones typically have a self-contained
trees down at /opt. Both are legitimate. HADOOP-6255 is neither.

Bigtop, as a community, decided to integrate well with the system. That's
why we have folks like James Page working on the project. It would be
perfectly fine for upstream packaging efforts to pursue HADOOP-6255
as an alternative to system-integration packaging and provide features
like side-by-side parcel installs to facilitate rolling upgrades, etc. Yet
that is not happening. In fact, from where I stand upstream packaging
efforts feel somewhat abandoned.

Of course, we can't really tell you guys how to package your stuff
upstream (even though personally I think it is a wasted effort).

Thanks,
Roman.