bigtop-dev mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Bigtop Incubator Report (March 2012)
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2012 00:29:27 GMT
Please take a look at the following report and let me know if anything
is missing.
If I don't hear from anybody in 24 hours I'll submit it up the chain
(mentors, etc)

Bigtop

Bigtop is a project for the development of native packaging and stack
tests of the Hadoop ecosystem.

Bigtop entered incubation on June 20, 2011.

Primary issues blocking graduation:
* Need for increased diversity and additional committers.

Issues which Incubator PMC and/or ASF Board might need/wish to be aware of:
* None

Community development since last report:
* Our regular Bay Area Bigtop meetup/class is going strong with ~10 members
  http://www.meetup.com/HandsOnProgrammingEvents/
* Bigtop talk @Bay Are Hadoop User group:
  http://www.meetup.com/hadoop/events/36789782/
* Gave talks on Bigtop @ApacheCON 2011
* Submitted talk proposals to Hadoop summit (http://hadoopsummit.org/)
   and HBase conf.

Project development since last report:
* 0.3.0-incubating is in a process of being released
* Significantly improved our deployment code (puppet) with the help of
an external contributor (Patrick Ramsey)
* Added code for producing virtual machine images with Bigtop Hadoop
stack baked in
* Added code for producing LiveCD/LiveUSB distros of Hadoop stack
* Bigtop branch based on Hadoop 0.23 has stabilized to a point where
we can start thinking of making 0.4.0 release based on it
* Used Bigtop to validate Zookeeper 4.3.* releases
* Used Bigtop to validate Hadoop 1.0.* RC and Hadoop 0.23.*RC release
* Additional component project Bigtop-jsvc added.
* Additional component project Bigtop-tomcat added.
* Increased the # and scope of integration tests