bigtop-dev mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Debian packaging format for Bigtop 0.4.0/+1
Date Fri, 23 Mar 2012 06:28:31 GMT
Hi James!

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 4:52 AM, James Page <james.page@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Hi Fellow Bigtoppers!
>
> I'd like to propose upgrading the Debian package format for all bigtop
> packages to source format 3.0 (see [0]) and increase the minimum
> debhelper revision to 7.

In general this sounds appealing, the question I have is -- what's the
minimum Debian/Ubuntu distribution release that support it?

> 1) Quilt based patching is a integral part of source format 3.0 - I
> know we don't carry patches in bigtop trunk but if some wanted to this
> change makes it much easier.

Yeah, that'll be a welcome addition. Do you know if there's anything
similar on the RPM side of things?

> 2) debhelper overrides and general magic
>
> The current debian/rules files are quite complicated; switching to
> version 7 of debhelper will help rationalise these rules files alot as
> this version supports overrides and alot of debhelper sequencing magic:
>
> {{{
> %:
>    dh $@
>
> override_dh_auto_build:
>    debian/do-component-build.sh
>    [...]
>
> override_dh_install:
>    debian/install_hadoop.sh
>    [...]
> }}}

Is there a doc/FAQ that outlines the migration path to version 7?

> I already trialled switching to source format 3.0 (I needed to pull in
> some patches to hadoop for Ubuntu precise) and it just requires a
> minor tweak to the build process (see [1]).
>
> Anyone have any objections or other feedback?

+1 in general, but see the questions above.

Thanks,
Roman.