bigtop-dev mailing list archives

From Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org>
Subject Re: RedHat moving to OpenJDK
Date Mon, 19 Mar 2012 19:05:55 GMT
On 03/19/2012 02:28 AM, James Page wrote:
> On 19/03/12 00:22, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
> > Speaking of which -- what's your read on JPackage. It feels dead
> > to me (and that's why Bigtop started packaging outside of
> > immediate Bigdata scope) but I could be wrong.

> > I think we have to bite the bullet and start supporting OpenJDK.
> > At least as an alternative JDK to Oracle's one. That said I had
> > reports about silly incompatibilities (like what a null would
> > produce when turned into a string or something) that trip up
> > Hadoop big time and nobody wants to spend time debugging it.
>
> We did discuss this as a long term goal when bigtop formed;  As a
> distro developer who has no option other than to use OpenJDK for the
> majority of my work I would like to help resolve these issues - I
> think its important for the long term health of Hadoop and OpenJDK.
>
> I also know quite a few of the OpenJDK developers and I know they are
> focussed on making OpenJDK great so it then just comes down to user
> choice rather that a complete no-go (which incidentally I don't think
> it is ATM).
>
> I think the other thing that I don't see much movement on is the
> switch to Java7 - technically this should make things much easier as
> OpenJDK 7 and Oracle Java 7 are pretty much the same thing.
>
> Fedora are already working on removing OpenJDK6 (see [0]) and I expect
> to start doing the same in Ubuntu/Debian in the next few months...
>
> Most OpenJDK development is now also focussed on 7 not 6....
>
> [0] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Java7

+1.
I created https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BIGTOP-458 so we can see
where we stand exactly.

Aside from that, I always build and run Apache Bigtop (incubating) at
home with OpenJDK 6 and I don't have any complain. But I guess my home
setup is quite different from a few hundreds nodes cluster :)