bigtop-dev mailing list archives

From Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Official list of supported platforms
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2011 21:16:27 GMT
On 09/06/2011 02:00 PM, Andrew Bayer wrote:
> Yup, which is why we need good review, and why it'd be nice to
> eventually get testpatch stuff working for all the supported releases,
> but we don't have that yet, and I don't think we can reasonably
> mandate that everyone run local builds of everything on all platforms
> all the time, etc.

It's more about the intent than taking things literally. Unless I need
to write proposals in lawyers terms?
Until we get the testpatch infrastructure running, we still need to be
extra careful about what gets checked in. And we can always change our
policy in that regard.

> I'm also -1 on Fedora currently - not sure what we gain by building on
> there, really. Maybe for 0.3.0, but for now, I'd say we should just
> add the one new supported platform in OpenSUSE.

Even though Fedora is RPM based (as CentOS and openSUSE), it is still
different enough from CentOS.
Furthermore I have also seen a bunch of tickets from people trying to
get hadoop working from their Fedora, which denotes some interest in
this platform.