beehive-user mailing list archives

From "Caius vanNouhuys" <>
Subject RE: Doubts on Apache Beehive.
Date Fri, 02 Dec 2005 20:41:04 GMT
Hi Vaibhav,

I guess it depends on how you look at it. One of the most often-heard complaints about Struts
is that all the control logic is in one file. In larger applications that one file can get
pretty unwieldy and hard to read.

If you change your struts-config file you're probably going to have to rebuild your application
anyway to create a new war (or ear) to redeploy with the changed configuration. I'd do this
all with an automated build process anyway so recompiling isn't a problem.

I think internationalization is no harder or easier with Beehive than it is with Struts so
I don't think there's an issue there. I'm not up on DynaActionFormBeans and Beehive and I'm
not totally sure what you mean by 'user-defined validation' so I don't have much to add about

-----Original Message-----
From: Rich Feit []
Sent: Friday, December 02, 2005 9:37 AM
To: Beehive Users
Subject: Re: Doubts on Apache Beehive.

Hi Ricardo,

I've got an answer for #1 -- someone else would be better suited for #2.

Ricardo Constantino wrote:

>I have the same problem, but i already found some more issues:
> 1) The pageflow only allow the usage of jsp that are in same directory of
>the pageflow file, this issue gives some problems with the jsp reuse;
In NetUI, there definitely is a bond between pages and page flows.  In
general, this means that applications are comprised of cleanly-separated
pieces (the page flows, each of which consists of a single controller
and any number of pages).  But this doesn't prevent reuse!  There are
two major vehicles for reuse in NetUI:

    - Nested page flows.  These are *entire flows* that can be used in
the middle of other flows.  In the tiniest case, you could have a nested
page flow that contains only a single controller and a single page, and
use that from many other page flows... but often the unit of reuse is
bigger than a single page.  See for more
information about this.

Nested page flows are a recognition of the fact that often you want to
reuse both pages *and* controller logic, and that keeping these two
things tied together in a clear way makes for cleaner, more
understandable apps.

    - Page templates.  When you want to share *pieces* of other JSPs,
you can use templates
( ).  NetUI
also supports Tiles if you're familiar with that.

I'd be happy to provide more information on this; let me know if you've
got other questions/concerns.

> 2) There are some problems using more than 1 database controller in the
>same transaction, since each controller creates an database connection.
>Since i only want to use 1 connection per user thread, i can't use more that
>1 database controller. So i need to have 1 big database controller with all
>aplication database acess.
>Ricardo Constantino
>On 12/2/05, Beohar, Vaibhav <> wrote:
>>Hi Guys,
>>I have a set of questions that I need to get clarified before I can put
>>forth a proposal of implementing Beehive in my company's web based project
>>(If I do propose the usage of Beehive and if there are problems later on,
>>I'm the one who's going to get a lot of flak for it), so please do help.
>>The application is an N Tier web-application with current proposal of
>>Struts, Validation framework (with both user defined validations and the
>>ones included in validation-rules.xml), DynaActionFormBeans etc. for
>>front-end and session fa├žade, service locater, helper classes etc. in the
>>middle tier and Stateless session beans and Abstract Factory DAOs for the
>>back end.
>>1)      One of the chief reasons for the scepticism over Beehive is that
>>folks think that Beehive splits the controller (in different controller
>>files) which makes the effort of tracking from one flow to other that more
>>tough. Whereas Struts has a central struts-config.xml file which can be
>>easily used for tracking the flow, there is no such single file in Beehive
>>and this could lead to more time in tracking the flows than in Struts.
>>2)      Beehive does not have a configuration file which could be changed
>>without the need for compilation. Such files go a long way in meeting
>>customer demands in case of a quick business flow change. For example, in
>>Struts a change in scenario A to scenario B [JSP flow] will be so easily
>>changeable by tweaking some tags in struts-config.xml here and there,
>>whereas in Beehive the same activity may lead to multiple sub-activities
>>like tracking the flow in individual Java Controller files, changing the
>>Java code and their subsequent compilation.
>>3)      Can we make DynaActionFormBeans in Beehive or do we have to make
>>explicit Java Beans as form beans each time a flow is decided.
>>4)      Can we use a validation framework with user defined validations.
>>5)      How easy or tough is the task of rendering internationalized
>>in Beehive.

View raw message