beehive-user mailing list archives

From Kyle Marvin <>
Subject Request for Input: Beehive Futures WishList
Date Tue, 29 Mar 2005 21:08:46 GMT
As Beehive is heading towards a Beta milestone for its initial
release, this is a great time to start thinking about future
directions and features that will make Beehive a better application
framework for its users.

The initial goal of Beehive 1.0 was take some of the programming model
abstractions from Weblogic Workshop, migrate them into open source,
and provide a basic portability mechanism that would enable them to be
used on additional application platforms (Tomcat/Axis initially, more
later).    Once finalized, the 1.0 release will have delivered on a
significant portion of this goal and it is time to begin considering
new ones!

This message is a call for input on new features or capabilities that
you (the Beehive user/developer community) would like to have appear
in future versions of Beehive.  The key is that we need continue to
deliver on our promise to make Enterprise App Development easier, and
to continue to act as an effective bridge between simple, toolable
metadata-driven abstractions and the more complex runtime machinery
required to make the abstractions fly!

You can participate by:

- Sending your idea to the mailing
list.   This is the ideal place for discussion of new ideas!  Please
preface the subject of your message with "[Feature Idea]" and include
a short description of the feature and its benefits.

- Go to the Beehive WishList page
( and add a brief entry
describing the feature.  I've seeded the page with a few sample ideas.
 [Note: anyone can participate in the Beehive wiki, you must simply
click "Login", enter username/password/e-mail contact info, then
"Create Profile" to create a Wiki user profile, or just login if you
already have one]

You can do one, the other, or both.   I'll act as a volunteer to try
and keep the data flowing if you only do one (I'll transfer e-mail
requests to the Wiki and/or send e-mail requests about WishList wiki
updates) and cross-reference them if possible.

Here are some possible sources for ideas:

- New abstractions, control types, or other aspects of Enterprise App
development that Beehive could make easier.

- Integration with other Open Source projects (Geronimo, Struts, Axis,
Spring, ...) that would benefit users.

- Parts of the Beehive 1.0 mission you think remain unfulfilled.

No idea is too big or small at this point!  It's OK to just state
problems you'd like to see solved without a concrete solution!

View raw message