beehive-user mailing list archives

From "Mike Kaufman" <>
Subject RE: Removing Beehive dependency on APT?
Date Fri, 08 Oct 2004 22:07:42 GMT

I agree w/ Kyle, except for the following:

I don't think of APT as a hard-tie to a tooling interface, and I definitely don't think it
is something we want to move away from.  Quite the opposite actually.  I think of APT as the
interface that allows us to not have hard ties to tooling environments.  This is because different
tooling environments can implement APT interfaces, and control authors can write their custom
checkers to the APT APIs.  The win here is that control authors don't have to worry about
which tooling environments they run in, and IDE vendors won't have to worry about which controls
will run in their IDEs.  Everyone goes home happy.

I think it is *really* important to have a single, common API for this purpose.  Otherwise,
controls will be fragmented, w/ custom processors written to run in specfic tooling environments.
 We definitely don't want that.  :(

View raw message