beehive-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hogue <>
Subject Re: Application Builds
Date Sun, 31 Oct 2004 18:39:34 GMT
Bob and Eddie,
Thanks for your responses. I'm glad to hear you've got what I was looking for in the works
with the app builds.
On the wrappers you're talking about, it sounds like that would work fine. Would the targets
be copied to the build file in the app directory or would they simply call out to the build
files in the beehive directories?

Eddie O'Neil <> wrote:

Yeah, we're just not quite there yet with the distribution and that
target, though we've got it internally in the SVN build. With a
distribution (for a webapp), you'd copy netui-blank in samples/ and call
the "deploy.beehive.webapp.runtime" target in ant/buildWebapp.xml. Just
need to assemble both of those into a single Ant call.

Agreed on having project-specific build.xml files. These would be
simple wrappers around our Ant, but you could drop into a project and
build. Would that address what you're looking for?

We'll definitely be working on supporting the Beehive source
artifacts compiling and running on other containers. There are already
some devs out there who have tried this. We just don't have it built
into the SVN / distribution builds yet.

Thanks for the feedback.

Chris Hogue wrote:
> Thanks Eddie, that clears it up better. I guess working from the source for now makes
it a little harder to decipher as a new user.
> One addition I'd be interested in is like Bob said, adding a working build.xml into those
blank projects. By doing that it'd be very easy to get up and running right away rather than
having to figure out going down into the source tree for the app builds.
> As a side note, is the project focusing on Tomcat for now, or are you going to try to
support others?
> -Chris
> Eddie O'Neil wrote:
> Chris--
> Yes, in fact there is.
> As part of the release that we're in the process of assembling for
> ApacheCon, there is a build infrastructure for compiling a Controls /
> NetUI enabled webapp.
> Until this release is actually available for download from the
> website, you can produce it yourself from SVN with this command run from
> the top-level:
> ant clean build.dist
> and the distribution itself will be available under ./build/dist/
> The build infrastructure we ship is in the distribution's ant/
> directory and can be used to build a webapp with buildWebapp.xml.
> There are also tempalte control-only and NetUI webapp projects
> available in the distribution's samples/ directory.
> Eddie
> Chris Hogue wrote:
>>Hi All,
>>After poking around with beehive the last couple of days I'm curious if there is any
work going on wrt application builds. In other words, a build that is separate from the beehive
source that a user who only wants to build an application would use (and would probably want
to be able to check in to their SCM under their application source tree).
>>I know about the netui/ant/webappTemplate.xml and test/ant/buildWebapp targets, but
I don't think application developers want to to go into that tree and have to pass all of
those arguments everytime. I've set a basic one set up for the test app I've been using but
is there an official effort going on in this area?