beehive-user mailing list archives

From "Rotan Hanrahan" <>
Subject RE: NetUI Pageflows = Custom App/Wizards?
Date Fri, 17 Sep 2004 19:32:33 GMT
This is similar to a problem faced in the mobile space, known affectionately as "session parking",
wherein the user has initiated a session on a fixed/mobile device and migrates to a mobile/fixed
device, requiring migration of the session to the new device. As this is a reasonable expectation
for users who will access a service from a variety of devices, the ability to park and resume
a session (from anywhere) is desireable. Being forced to roll back is just not acceptable.
Flow is just the same. There are legitimate reasons why a user would want to suspend a flow
(and I'm just thinking of the multi-device environment, but you can add to this) and resume
later. I like the modal dialog analogy: it is exactly what we *don't* want in this case.
Of course, parking raises other issues: should there be a limit on the duration; can the same
user have more than one flow active (on the same path); how do you securely resume a parked
flow? etc

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Julian []
	Sent: Fri 17/09/2004 19:03
	To: Beehive Users
	Subject: Re: NetUI Pageflows = Custom App/Wizards?

	Ok I looked at the Struts Workflow project again and
	realized another bad thing.  The flows cannot be
	stopped and picked up at a latter time.  If the user
	stops the flow, then the whole thing is rolled back.
	The analogy they use is to think of the workflow as a
	modal dialog the user cannot escape unless they
	rollback the whole process.
	Live simply so others may simply live.
	Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate.
	"Entities should not be multiplied unneccesarily"
	-William of Occam
	Do you Yahoo!?