beehive-dev mailing list archives

From "Carlin Rogers" <carlin.rog...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: request attribute issues for BEEHIVE-1031
Date Tue, 17 Oct 2006 22:39:50 GMT
Yes, I agree, we want the portal framework to decide what attributes
to persist. I've been looking at it from the point of view that a
framework wants to reduce or optimize the size of the user session.
I.E., What's required to successfully do a refresh request to each
individual portlet.

>From the ScopedRequest attribute map, there are some NetUI attributes
that are no longer needed for the refresh... drop them. But how does a
portal know what these are? And if they do, they can't just use our
attribute names because they are not public.

Then there are the set of NetUI attributes that should be restored on
the refresh request. Some of these are small (String or Boolean) such
as the attribute that indicates to NetUI that it has saved the
need to reconstruct. Other attributes are the action outputs you
mention. Within this set of attributes are two that can be
reconstructed (I don't know of any others), the module config and
action mapping.

>From a framework point of view, there's a attribute map for the scoped
request with NetUI, portal, and maybe developer attributes. I guess I
don't see how they know which attributes a portal/app developer has
created and should be saved versus which ones are NetUI attributes
that can be removed. Providing the name of attributes that are safe to
remove seems to solve this issue.

Again, thanks for all your feedback.
Carlin

> I think that the portal framework should actually be the one to decide,
> and that we should be exposing the attributes that we think are
> necessary to reconstruct.  A portlet could even be configured for
> keep-all-attributes or only keep-necessary-attributes (or even
> keep-no-attributes).  In this case I guess we might want to expose a
> list of attributes that *must* be dropped, which is more along the lines
> of what you're suggesting.
>
> I wonder if we've been talking about two different things:
>     - attributes which can be reconstructed, even if they're not
> directly Serializable
>     - attributes which really should be carried across refresh requests,
> like action outputs
>
> I've been thinking of it as the latter -- how about you?
>
> Rich
>
> Carlin Rogers wrote:
> > I don't know if we can just assume that everything gets dropped. What
> > if a page flow developer has code that adds an attribute to the
> > request during the action and expects to see it during the rendering.
> > I think the portal framework view is that there are a subset of
> > attributes that do not need to be persisted, a set that are
> > reconstructable, and a set that probably need to be persisted
> > (including some of that they've added to the request) as is.
> >
> > I think the form bean object is one we want to preserve as is. If we
> > just give a list of the attributes we think are OK to remove, then the
> > form bean object would still be in the attribute map persisted in the
> > session, without other logic to track form beans.
> >
> > Seem OK?
> >
> > Carlin
> >
> > On 10/17/06, Rich Feit <richfeit@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Great -- my only question is, why expose anything like
> >> getRemovableAttributeNames()?  Can't we just assume that everything gets
> >> dropped except the attributes we expose as reconstructible?
> >>
> >> Oh, one other detail I thought of this morning.  For the case where the
> >> user has returned to a page with validation errors, the form bean object
> >> in the request might be something we want to preserve across refresh
> >> requests.  Otherwise, the user's original form input values will be
> >> lost.  If we wanted to handle this, our return values from
> >> getReconstructibleAttributeNames() would just be more dynamic (we'd have
> >> to keep track of which form beans got put into the request).  What do
> [...]
NetUI