beehive-dev mailing list archives

From Rich Feit <richf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: request attribute issues for BEEHIVE-1031
Date Tue, 17 Oct 2006 03:54:43 GMT
First, I'm assuming this is mainly framework feature, and that portlet
developers would only rarely need to interact with it directly.  It's
just so that NetUI can make a few attributes live across portal refresh
requests.  Do you agree?

Assuming that's true, here are some thoughts:

  - I think your simpler approach of keeping a list of reconstructible
attributes is a good one.

  - Along the lines of what Chad said below, I think NetUI should be
able to return a small object (state+logic necessary for reconstructing
later) for all attributes returned in the list above:
        ReconstructibleAttribute getReconstructibleAttribute(String
attributeName);
     The returned object could reconstruct the original attribute on demand:
        Object originalValue =
reconstructibleAttribute.reconstruct(<context>);
     Assuming we have a factory for producing these things, we could
allow the advanced user to override it in beehive-netui-config.xml.

  - The portal framework should be in complete control of the actual
storing and restoring of the attribute values -- our code should not do
this.  It was a mistake (my mistake) to take on this responsibility in
the first place -- it doesn't belong in NetUI.

  - NetUI's only responsibility should be to provide a list of attribute
names and the ability to get the small reconstructible attribute
object.  The portal framework would:
        1) at the end of a request, get the list of reconstructible
attributes, call getReconstructibleAttribute() for each one, and  store
the returned ReconstructibleAttributes in any way it chooses (RA is
Serializable of course).
        2) at the beginning of the next request, retrieve all of the
ReconstructibleAttributes, reconstruct the original values, and set them
in the request using setAttribute.

  - Everything should be structured to make persisting attributes *not*
the default.

What do you think?

Rich