beehive-dev mailing list archives

From "Antony Chien" <antony.ch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Controls "the next generation"
Date Wed, 21 Jun 2006 03:50:06 GMT
2006/6/21, Kenneth Tam <kentaminator@gmail.com>:

> I've had a few conversations recently about what kinds of
> changes/improvements might make sense for Beehive controls to make
> them more accessible and usable in light of all the changes that have
> gone on in the Java development world since controls were originally
> designed.  Here are some rough thoughts/ideas I've had; I'll probably
> start exploring some of these ideas in the coming weeks via
> prototyping in a sandbox and post more detailed explanations of what
> I'm thinking.
>
> Goal:
> Rearchitecture to incorporate support for various contemporary
> container and ease-of-development technologies, and strea
> mline/modularize feature-set based on developer feedback.
>
> Support strong separation of service provider/consumer concerns
> - continue to expect control implementation authors (service
> providers) to be more highly skilled Java developers than
> consumers.
> - focus more on adding value to consumers, less on making it easier
> for the provider (plenty of other technologies in t
> hat space).
>    - controls _usage_ should continue to be highly toolable
>
> Key use case is consumers authoring interface extensions for extensible
> controls
> - rich support for provider-defined annotation grammars & associated
> semantics
> - think of controls as making Java dynamic proxies easy &
> annotation/metadata driven.
>   - focus on resource access / smart proxy problem
>
> De-emphasize nested controls case
> - controls no longer positioned as generic logic containers
> - just write pojos, use other containers and their features
> - limit or refactor eventset support (how important has this been in
> actual usage)?

I think that eventSet is important async model. Although the actual usage
may not be high, but it will be higher, especially considering SOA as next
big thing.

Make it easier to use controls from anywhere by reducing/refactoring
> container requirements
> - remove or refactor dependency on JavaBeans Runtime Containment and
> Services Protocol specification (unclear that valu
> e of that framework justifies cost/complexity)

Agree on this. Just make it transparent for us, ok?

- consider interop and co-existence with other annotation sets as an
> important use case
>   - JAX-WS
>   - EJB 3
>   - JSR-250

Yes, definitely.

- consider replacing compile-time code-gen with runtime bytecode gen
> (asm or cglib style)

This is very important IMHO. One should be able to write a control and test
it without waiting code generation. Code generation is not healthy for IDEs
that consistently check for new files. Sometimes it even break the permanent
generation of the underling VM!

- delegate dependency injection/IoC responsibilities; replace
> @Control and @Context
>   - expect developers to use injection container of their choice
>    - Spring
>    - EJB3/JSR-250 (@Resource)
>   - refactor declarative property configuration (usage of @Property
> annotations on fields marked w/ @Control) to make it
> optional (just another source of injection)

For dependency  injection, Spring guys are doing a common framework based on
annotation. IMHO, Beehive Control should work closely with Spring guys, add
on value where they can't reach.

  - pluggable lifecycle support (can we replace ResourceContext?)

--
Regards,
Antony Chien