beehive-dev mailing list archives

From "Daryl Olander" <dolan...@gmail.com>
Subject case insensitivity in the tags
Date Mon, 20 Mar 2006 15:52:55 GMT
Carlin,

I noticed that you changed the behavior of the form tag (Beehive-1080) **to
allow the method to be specified in a case insensitive manner.  This doesn't
seem like the right thing to do.  Today, all of the "enums" in the HTML tags
are lower case as far as I know and they don't do case insensitive
comparisions.  If you change one, you really should change all of them.  The
reasons they are lower case is so you can switch back and forth between
XHTML and HTML 4.01.  In XHTML these values must be lower case.  So if you
allow "PoSt" you then need to make sure these are lower cased when
generating XHTML.   The bias of the tags is actually XHTML because that is
the long run proper thing for generating HTML.  The overhead of all this
case work, and conversion always seemed better handled by a simple rule that
our tags are really XHTML and they will generate the old HTML.  This is a
design decision on our part, the tags are not the HTML spec.

The overall design pattern for the tags is to only accept lower case values
for all of the "enums".  This is very easy to learn and understand.  I think
if we change this, then we need to take the overhead of converting all of
the value into lower case when the property is set and always output them as
lower case.

Overall, I don't think I would make this change. and if we do, we need to
make it for all of the enums in the tags.