beehive-dev mailing list archives

From Eddie O'Neil <ekon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: beehive.home vs dist.home for the test distribution
Date Sat, 21 Jan 2006 00:50:31 GMT
Julie--

  The "beehive.home" variable is required so that the same Ant
build.xml files for the webapps run in both the SVN tree and
elsewhere.  It's more like these test webapps are were just
user-written applications (as opposed to test apps hard coded to some
envnrionment), and in that context, they would require a beehive.home
property.

  Without this, there would need to be a build.xml file for both the
SVN tree, distribution tests, and other environments.  And, that's
just too much effort to manage and maintain.

  With some additional work, the webapps could just override the
properties with a new build.properties file, but simply parameterizing
the call to the builds with a -Dbeehive.home value is still easier
than having special cases in the Ant files.

  It should be easy to simplify the calls to build webapps from the
command line -- just write some Ant or a shell script that calls them.

  Hope that helps.

Eddie

On 1/20/06, Julie Zhuo <jzhuo@bea.com> wrote:

> I have noticed that the build files for the test webs are using beehive.home while the
top level netui build file is asking for dist.home passed from command line. It passes the
beehive.home in the following way,

>         <ant dir="webapps/jsf" antfile="build.xml" target="bvt" inheritAll="false">
>
>             <property name="beehive.home" location="${dist.home}"/>
>
>         </ant>
>

> This way, you will not experience problem when you run the test from the top level build
file. But if I try to run a sub test, such as bvt.jsf-ri, I will have to set both beehive.home
and dist.home pointing to the beehive distribution through command line. The reason for that
is that there is a test run time dependency on a lib directory under ${dist.home}.

> Is there a reason that we have to use both beehive.home and dist.home together? It seems
to me that we can get away with just one parameter here, either the beehive.home or the dist.home
so that all the sub tests can be easily run standalone.