beehive-dev mailing list archives

From Daryl Olander <dolan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Thread Policy on Controls...
Date Wed, 18 Jan 2006 14:16:13 GMT
I'm not sure this is legal.  The contract between the control and container
as far as I can tell is that we won't allow multiple threads into a control
that is marked single threaded.  At the minimum we would have to mark all
methods that access a control (and a control couldn't be public or
package-protected).  This would involve code analysis of control usage or we
would have to mark all methods synchronized.  It seems to me the safest
policy is  either 1) mark them all synchonized if controls are present in
the shared flow, or 2) not allow for single-threaded controls inside a
shared flow by failing the compile.

We are already going to be forced to make some changes to try and support
the proper request/response behavior and we will have to specifically define
the life cycle for resource events.  I don't believe there is any way to
prevent resources from being shared between threads.  I believe we are going
to have to have a warning when compiling shared flow (and global app) about
the resource issue.