beehive-dev mailing list archives

From Xibin Zeng <xibin.z...@gmail.com>
Subject Control interceptor question
Date Tue, 10 Jan 2006 17:20:24 GMT
Hi -

There are 4 methods on the
org.apache.beehive.controls.spi.svc.Interceptorinterface. For a
control operation, preInvoke/postInvoke are called before
and after the operation, respectively. The postInvoke callback contains the
exception that the operation threw. For preEvent/postEvent, however, there
is no exception information passed to the postEvent callback. This looks
inconsistent to me. Imagine that you need to enforce J2EE transaction
behaviors using these interceptors (i.e. rollback a transaction in case of a
system exception), you will need to know what exception has been generated
as the result of invoking the operation or event callback. You could do this
for your control operations, but not event callbacks, since the exception
caught during event callback isn't passsed to the interceptor.

There might be reasons why Beehive chose to implement the 2 sets of API
differently. In my humble opinion, I think we should make them symmetric. If
I missed something here, please let me know.

Thanks
Xibin Zeng