beehive-dev mailing list archives

From Carlin Rogers <carlin.rog...@gmail.com>
Subject Question about multibyte characters and javascript String (beehive-1029)
Date Fri, 16 Dec 2005 20:47:00 GMT
Hey Daryl,

For beehive-1029, I'm going to check in a change that will set the content
type of the response to "text/html; charset=UTF-8" in
ReturnActionViewRenderer. This will ensure that multibyte Unicode Java
Strings are written out correctly using the response's PrintWriter. This
response will only have JavaScript in it and no content markup. It is only
for our purposes to return output from the popup back to the main page flow.
I was wondering if you know whether there would be any issues with the
following scenario.

- set the response content type to "text/html; charset=UTF-8".
- write a multibyte Unicode String for a value in a map in the JavaScript of
the response.
- the JavaScript calls a routine in the in another window (the opener
window) passing the map with the multibyte String.
- the JavaScript in the other page is executed using the String value of the
map to set a field in a form.

Is there an issue if the opener window that gets the map and updates the
form field has a different content type such as a charset for EUC_JP? A
JavaScript string is Unicode as in Java, right? So I wouldn't think that the
content type of the page would matter in the execution of the JavaScript.
Just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing something.

Thanks,
Carlin