beehive-dev mailing list archives

From Daryl Olander <dolan...@gmail.com>
Subject AJAX Support
Date Thu, 20 Oct 2005 15:01:34 GMT
I've started the process of looking in real detail at what type of support
for AJAX we should have in Beehive. These are my early thoughts:

1) We shouldn't develop our on client side framework, instead we should
adopt one or more of the current open source frameworks. Ideally, we could
make this choice optional and not directly tie the tag programming model to
the AJAX framework directly.
2) Dojo, Prototype, SAJAX and script.aculo.us <http://script.aculo.us> seem
to be the best choices of frameworks to start looking at.
3) We want to create a base programming model in the tags that requires no
coding (JavaScript) by the developer for simple things
4) We want to support a bunch of base features such as Google
Suggest/AutoComplete, Html content replacement (select box, anchors, etc),
form field and text/span updates.
5) We need to setup a pull model to refresh pages and with strong
integration with page flows.
6) Multiple events need to be delivered to the client from the server and
multiple actions be called per XmlHttpRequest.
7) There are also other nice features such as Callout and Drag and Drop that
are on the nice to have level.

In addition, we need to continue to push our "rich controls" to become
richer. This means that the Tree, DivPanel and DataGrid need to become much
richer. Today both the Tree and DivPanel support XmlHttpRequest, but don't
support dynamic update of their content.

I've sent mail the the user list asking for input. I'm also looking for more
technical/design feedback and discussion to take place here.

What do people think?