beehive-dev mailing list archives

From Rich Feit <richf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: reorganizing netui-blank [was: [Re: beehive-914 -- started yet?]]
Date Sun, 11 Sep 2005 17:46:26 GMT
+1.  There actually needs to be a small change to the patch, though, and
there probably needs to be a change to the <build-pageflows> macro
itself.  For the patch, this line in user/netui-blank/build.xml:

    weboutputdir="${build.dir}"

...needs to be replaced with this:

    classoutputdir="${build.dir}/WEB-INF/classes"

Otherwise, classes will be built to ${web.dir}/WEB-INF/src.  And if we
accept the proposed changes below, 'classoutputdir' would be replaced
with 'destdir'.

Now, as to <build-pageflows>, I actually think we need to make the
following changes, given the move to generating all files into
WEB-INF/classes (started writing an email about this yesterday):

    - Add a 'destdir', to be in line with the rest of the macros (and
javac).  We couldn't do this before because there were *two* destdirs
('classoutputdir', 'weboutputdir').
    - Deprecate 'classoutputdir'.  If it's present and 'destdir' is not
present, make 'destdir' default to @{classoutputdir}.
    - Deprecate the 'weboutputdir' attribute, but if it's present and
'destdir' is not present, make 'destdir' default to
@{weboutputdir}/WEB-INF/classes.

An alternative would be to simply remove 'classoutputdir' and
'weboutputdir' (no deprecation -- would cause anyone using v1m1 to
change their builds).  What do you think?

Rich

Daryl Olander wrote:

>+1 I think it best that we make this kind of changes now before we ship 1.0,
>this is a better model.
>
>On 9/11/05, Eddie O'Neil <ekoneil@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>All--
>>
>>I've got a patch ready which will reorganize the
>><dist-root>/samples/netui-blank web project from a source-in model
>>like:
>>
>>fooWeb/
>>Controller.java
>>index.jsp
>>WEB-INF/
>>web.xml
>>src/
>>build.xml
>>build.properties
>>Foo.java
>>
>>to a source-peer model like:
>>
>>fooWeb/
>>build.xml
>>build.properties
>>src/
>>Foo.java
>>web/
>>index.jsp
>>Controller.java
>>WEB-INF/
>>web.xml
>>
>>This brings the OOTB NetUI project model in-line with that prescribed
>>by Tomcat and used in many projects. It's also what Adriano suggested
>>and used for his NetBeans project.
>>
>>We're getting in the last days before 1.0 here, so we need to do two
>>things:
>>
>>1) agree that this is the right thing to do
>>2) review the patch in this bug --
>>http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEEHIVE-921
>>
>>Please do both; if you disagree with (1), say so! :)
>>
>>Once / if we agree on this, I'll commit it and take a couple of hours
>>to rework some documentation. And, hopefully we can branch and ship
>>1.0. :)
>>
>>Eddie
>>

>>On 9/9/05, Rich Feit <richfeit@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Sounds great! Leaving netui-samples and netui-jsf seems like the right
>>>thing to hold off for 1.1.

>>think

>>It

>>should

> [...]
> [...]

> [...]

> [...]