beehive-dev mailing list archives

From Rich Feit <richf...@gmail.com>
Subject Beehive/tooling issue
Date Fri, 09 Sep 2005 06:07:19 GMT
Hi all,

I just entered http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEEHIVE-915 : Page
Flow annotation processors generate files in an IDE-unfriendly way.  It
turns out that the way we generate files when running under apt works
fine on the command line, but makes it hard for an IDE (implementing the
Mirror interfaces) to know when/where our generated files are created.

This from the bug:

"Unfortunately, [apt's] Filer offers only two choices of places to
create files: the source directory and the build directory. This means
that to fix this bug, our generated files need to move out of WEB-INF,
into WEB-INF/classes, i.e., they will not only be generated into a
different place, but they will be read through a different mechanism in
the runtime."

So, this is definitely not a trivial change.  I am working on the fix
for this, and I'd like to have the discussion about whether to get it
into v1.0.  If we don't, v1.0 won't be toolable in an IDE.
Additionally, it could cause back-compat problems between this and the
next version, if people begin to depend on our current location for
generated files.  On the other hand, it's a risky change in that we
don't have a lot of time to have people hammer on this.  The one saving
grace is that the file location is so fundamental that presumably, any
bug would cause blatantly bad behavior across the framework.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Rich