beehive-dev mailing list archives

From Eddie O'Neil <ekon...@gmail.com>
Subject netui and the xmlbean config file
Date Sat, 27 Aug 2005 12:17:40 GMT
All--

  One other thing I noticed while going through the Javadoc for NetUI
is that we're exposing the NetUI config file
(beehive-netui-config.xml) in a public API as an XMLBean.  In this
case, this seems like a bad practice as it puts the NetuiConfig type
into the public API.

  The problem is that if if someone wanted to configure the runtime
via Spring / HiveMind / etc, this isn't easy to do since the current
implementation of configuration is exposed on the
org.apache.beehive.netui.util.config.ConfigUtil class.

  I'm going to take a crack at switching this over to a JavaBean API
for 1.0 -- since we're going to be stuck with this API for a while, it
seems like a good thing to enable.  :)

  This would basically look like a complex JavaBean that has a similar
nesting structure to the XML document implemented in abstract base
classes.  Then, an XMLBean implementation to those classes will
delegate to the XMLBeans that parse the beehive-netui-config.xml file.
 Clients of ConfigUtil would then jus talk to the JavaBeans direclty.

  Other thoughts / comments?  Do others thing that this is 1.0 worthy?

Eddie