beehive-dev mailing list archives

From "Mitch Upton" <mup...@bea.com>
Subject Can method parameters be merged with annotations upon access at runtime?
Date Fri, 19 Aug 2005 20:19:36 GMT

All,

   I'm developing a control that could benefit from accepting values
from method parameters at runtime. In particular, I'd like to have a way
to specify an annotation attribute to take its runtime value from a
named method parameter. The DBMS control does something similar by
having parameter markers in the sql attribute like this 'select * from
TABLE where COLUMN1 = {param1} and COLUMN2 = {param2}'.

   I can see how this would work with String attributes, as you can just
parse them, find the markers, and then get the method parameter named in
the marker (via ControlBeanContext). However, has anyone thought of a
way to do this with non-String types? In this case, you can't come up
with some proprietary 'marker' syntax, and it has to be valid Java
syntax.

   At the very least I guess what you could do is to make everything a
String, and then always parse looking for parameter markers (even when
the annotation is logically a non-String value, like an int).

   Any help/ideas appreciated.

Thanks,

Mitch Upton