beehive-dev mailing list archives

From Davanum Srinivas <dava...@gmail.com>
Subject JDK1.4 based WSM
Date Mon, 04 Jul 2005 04:17:20 GMT
Folks,

Am sure we have beaten this to death before. I had a long discussion
with Daryoush probably on friday and poked around a bit with
Retroweaver/ASM/CGLIB/Annogen/JAM/backport175 etc.. Here's the bottom
line (i have code in my sandbox to prove it).

- We can use Eclipse JDT to compile code with Annotations (yes, target
vm = 1.5) under JDK1.4
- Code thus compiled can be loaded in 1.4 VM (with a hack to fix
version, i have a CompilingClassLoader that compiles and loads
examples.EchoService i found in the JSR download)
- Have code (using ASM) that can read annotations from these classes
under both 1.4 and 1.5

So bottom line: As long as the code does not use any other 1.5 feature
other than annotations, we can work with it. I can send someone the
code if they are interested.

Yes, you have told me things like "rest of beehive needs 1.5, so let's
do the same for wsm". Please remember wsm can still exist without
controls and there is VERY little dependency on controls which can be
refactored out.

Based on this, Can we please re-open the debate on supporting 1.4 for
WSM *ONLY* (need to rewrite code that uses generics in WSM module). To
state the obvious, Am looking for a drop-in solution for Apache Axis
to enable JSR 181 under JDK1.4.

Thanks,
dims