beehive-dev mailing list archives

From Eddie ONeil <ekon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: .ser files in WSM
Date Fri, 17 Jun 2005 00:46:11 GMT
  Sure...

  So, today, the WSM annotation processor produces .ser files in order
to allow a web service stack (Axis 1.2 today) to discover the formal
argument names of methods exposed as @WebMethod.

  I was speculating -- which perhaps I shouldn't do :) -- that if WSM
were to target a web service technology in addition to Axis that the
.ser file wouldn't necessarily be needed.

  For example, if the WSM annotation processor produced a JSR 101 /
109 deployable unit (or the source files / descriptors for such a
unit), it might include enough information that the .ser file wouldn't
be needed.  In this case, Beehive WSM only runs at build time and
doesn't have a runtime component.

  I agree that there is nothing Axis specific in the .ser file and was
just making the point that the .ser file might not be needed depending
on how WSM is integrated into Axis or if / when WSM targets additional
web service stacks / standards.

  I'm not a web service expert by any means (clearly!), but it seems
like generation / use of the .ser file should be a *choice* and not a
requirement.

  Does that make more sense?

Eddie