beehive-dev mailing list archives

From Rich Feit <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: updating the beehive web site -- a two pronged approach
Date Sat, 11 Jun 2005 22:52:27 GMT
No inline comments from me; just two quick ones:

    - I wholeheartedly agree with Eddie's comments about getting the
site into svn.  Anyone have any other feedback on this?

    - While I agree with separating release-agnostic and
release-specific doc, it sounds like there are some technical
issues/questions to work through.  Could we separate the two "prongs" in
this thread so one isn't dependent on the other?  It just seems like the
amount of discussion between the two could get overwhelming, and it
would be great to act on at least one relatively soon.  :)

Rich

Eddie ONeil wrote:

>  Lots of good points here; I'll see if I can address them in-line.
>

>On 6/8/05, Steve Hanson <steveh@bea.com> wrote:
>

>>Let me preface this by saying that updating the live site is currently a medium-sized
pain in the neck that will become a large-size pain when multiple versions of Beehive arrive.

>Agreed.  Thus changing how this works.  :)
>

>>More concerns about (1):
>>------------------------
>>
>>That said, I don't think we should checkin Javadoc-generated HTML to the tree at any
level.  One reason is just pure principle: it just seems wrong to checkin something that gets
generated from a build file.  There are also practical reasons:  I agree that devs generally
shouldn't have to sync to beehive/site.  But people will still sync to it inadvertently, and
get mad about it, and break their local SVN tree trying to stop the sync midstream, etc.

>Generally, I agree about avoiding checking in generated files, and in
>the end, this still might not work, but it seems worth having a
>discussion about this to see what bright ideas we can come up with.
>
>I spent Sunday working with the Incubator website while updating the
>Beehive status page, and the generated site is checked into SVN.  It
>was a *joy* to be able to generate the site locally, make sure
>everything worked locally, commit the changes to the site-publish
>directory, and "svn update" on the server.  Worked out fabulously.
>
>Thus, I was (am) hoping we can do the same thing for the Beehive documentation.
>
>I actually believe that lots of devs (esp committers) will sync
>beehive/site because it needs updating.  As far as inadvertently
>syncing part of the tree, we're already there with branches for three
>releases and private sandboxes.  So, that doesn't seem like a limiting
>factor.
>
>:)
>

>>Moreover: there are just *a lot* of HTML files to manage under SVN, which is a pain
in itself.  When I was managing them for the v1-alpha release, I ran into these sorts of problems:
A dev adds a new method to some class.  I want to get the new method posted that day, so I
run Javadoc.  But each generated HTML file is time-stamped, so SVN sees a change in every
HTML file in the set.  The result is a submit that takes 1/2 an hour.  You might say: "Well
couldn't you just checkin the one HTML class topic that has changed?"  Not really, because
adding a new method to a class makes a whole series of small, medium and large sized changes
across multiple HTML pages, changes which aren't easy to predict and selectively identify
for a checkin.

>My proposal here wouldn't be that devs update the Javadoc -- that's
>something that is done when the nightlies run, is totally scripted,
>and happens (often) at 2 AM.  The publish/ directory isn't something
>that would usually be updated incrementally -- it's something that's
>updated in bulk, and 99% of the time that process is automated.
>

>>More concerns about (2):
>>------------------------
>>
>>Just to make sure I understand proposal (2), let me restate it:
>>
>>   We should make a distinction between the release-dependent and release-independent
docs.
>>   Release-dependent docs include the majority of topics like the user guides, tutorials,
etc.
>>   Release-independent docs include the more static parts of the site, like the download
page,
>>   mailing-list page, etc.
>>   The release-independent docs should be moved up a level to beehive/site, where
Forrest will
>>   treat them like a relatively static site template.
>>
>>That's my restatement of proposal (2).  If I've misunderstood it, stop now, and set
me straight.

>>If I have restated (2) correctly, I don't think that Forrest can handle it.  Even
if we can find a way for Forrest to handle and build against XML pages in two disparate directories,
there are still other problems.

>Hm.  Guess the question I'd ask here is this -- why is this a problem
>for Forrest?  We need to move the doc infrastructure to a place where
>this is possible (note, these are hypothetical release numbers):
>
>beehive/
>  branches/
>    v1/
>      v1.0/
>      v1.1/
>      v1.2/
>
>which will result in a website that looks like:
>
>  beehive/
>    <core-site>
>    releases/
>      v1.0/
>      v1.1/
>      v1.2/
>    nightly/
>
>where the v1.0, v1.1, v1.2 docs are generated from the branches/
>directory and nightly/ comes from trunk/.  Currently, we don't seem to
>have a clean way to do this because the entire site is re-generated
>from the current release.  So, things like the downloads, mailinglist,
>and other version agnostic content comes from the site generated by
>the most recent release.  If a committer wants to add a "news" bullet,
>post v1/m1, they've got to re-generate the site from the branch.
>
>Seems that it'd be easier to make a change to the Forrest XML file,
>rebuild the version-agnostic content and update a single file...
>

>>It is just difficult, in principle, to make a division between non-versioned parts
of a doc set and versioned parts.  For example, take the download page.  If we make it a non-versioned
part of the doc set, really a common, templated element to any doc set, then, how do we handle
regeneration of an older version of the doc?  Suppose we need to regenerate version 1: Do
we included the download page, with its reference/link to version 2?

>To me the download page isn't something that needs to branch with the
>source tree -- it would already be versioned in SVN and if we needed
>an older version of the doc, we'd just sync back to an older SVN
>version fo the file.
>
>Is there any way to assemble documentation generated by multiple
>Forrest runs?  Seems that if we're ever to support multiple versions
>of the documentation that we'll need to be able to do this.  If it's
>possible, we can just go low-tech and checkin the version-agnostic
>parts of the site and generate the doc for each release and copy it as
>we do today.
>

>>All that said, I don't really have any brilliant ideas right now to deal with the
pain that is coming our way as the versions of the docs start to proliferate.

>>Maybe we need a script on the live site server that can run the doc targets and post
the results?  That way you won't need to run processes on two different machines.

>>-steveh.

being checked in to SVN.  I am not sure how the current proposal (1) avoids this drawback.

>>You're correct -- the Javadoc is checked into SVN, but it's done so in
>>a location like:
>>
>>  beehive/
>>    site/
>>      publish/
>>
>>which keeps it entirely out of the beehive/trunk directory.  As I
>>recall, keeping the Javadoc in trunk/ was the issue as we were always
>>sync-ing updates.
>>
>>The difference here is that it's up at the beehive/site/... level
>>which devs don't usually need to sync.
>>

>>>One question: Are we going to be checking in different doc sets for each released
version of Beehive, so that the tree would look (something) like?:

>>>beehive
>>>  site
>>>    archives
>>>      v1
>>>      v2
>>>    current
>>>      v3
>>>

>>In the long run, yes.  This would make it *significantly* easier to
>>keep the alpha, beta, m1, etc docs on the site and allow them to be
>>updateable independently.
>>

>>>Concerns about (2):
>>>
>>>This proposal sounds like it would break Forrest.  Forrest is looking for one
directory that contains the XML source files: I doubt it can handle a disparate set of directories.
 Runnng Forrest mulitple times and slapping the genered HTML together afterwards won't work
either, because Forrest needs to do link checking and build a single TOC.